Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi all

In 1999, I contributed to United Way through payroll deduction. There is no notation of it on my W-2, but it is detailed on my last pay stub for 1999.

Because the total was more than $250 for the year (but much less per pay period), I am still trying to figure out what I need to provide for documentation.

I did find this much: "For contributions made by payroll deduction, substantiation must be a combination of (1) a pay stub, W-2, or other employer statement showing the amount withheld for contribution to a donee organization, [That I've got!] AND (2) a pledge card stating that the organization does not provide goods or services for any contributions made by payroll deduction [Get something from HR for that?]. You need this documentation if each separate payroll deduction is $250 or more.

So, reading this, it appears that I don't have to provide anything except a notation that it was via payroll deduction when I enter it on my taxes.

I really want to make sure that I am understanding this right, I have no desire to have any letters from the IRS showing up in my mailbox!

Cindy
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< In 1999, I contributed to United Way through payroll deduction. There is no notation of it on my W-2, but it is detailed on my last pay stub for 1999.

Because the total was more than $250 for the year (but much less per pay period), I am still trying to figure out what I need to provide for documentation. >>

All you need is your paystubs, or just the last one, if it shows YTD totals.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti
Print the post Back To Top