Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Greetings, all, 2004 may be the first year I will be eligible to itemize due to buying a house. I file as single and in 2003 had $4750 worth of standard deduction that I could take. In 2004 I think the standard deduction will be at least this large, if not larger - I know it is indexed for inflation. Here are my questions:

1) There appears to be no benefit to itemizing unless my Schedule A result exceeds the standard deduction. My income for 2004 may be on the borderline of what would force a limitation on the allowed itemized deduction. Is there any similar limitation applied to the standard deduction based on income?

2) If I am eligible to get a benefit from itemizing, it would only be via interest on the mortgage, property taxes paid, state taxes paid (though I think I will now have to enter a figure for any refunds from the state elsewhere on my 1040) and charitable deductions. Since I will be paying interest on a mortgage for only 6 months of 2004, it might be tough to hit higher than $4750 even with property and state tax paid. The difference would have to come from charitable contributions. I see that if I exceed $500 in non-cash contributions I will have to fill out form 8283. It is possible that I WILL exceed $500 given that I am essentially doing a wholesale giveaway of tons o' stuff that has heretofore been sitting in my closets and on my bookshelves. I am using the program ItsDeductible to help me arrive at fair market value. What I want to know is whether I can use the printout from this program as an attachment to form 8283 to satisfy all the required disclosure. Looking over form 8283, I see questions being asked about when I acquired each donated item, as well as how I arrived at its fair market value. Assuming that I really am required to fill out 8283, how insistent is the IRS on having every bit of this detail so long as I have used the ItsDeductible software - which does not ask for this level of detail. Do I need to be taking digital photos of all my donated clothing and books?

Information about your own experiences with having non-cash deductions above $500 (necessitating form 8283) will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

xraymd
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.