Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I just want to mention that after I retired I wanted to convert some stocks into a better income stream. The dividends on Gap, Inc. stock were less than 1% of their value. For a more secure income stream for myself and my wife, I looked at charitable remainder funds, unitrusts, etc. A significant incentive was the avoidance of capital gains taxes. (There are all sorts of options that can still leave inheritance for children, etc.)

I started with a "major" charity, set up a unitrust with a 7 3/4% payout rate based on Jan 1st valuations. I ran into major problems on that one. When Fidelity Investments came out with a Charitable Remainder Trust, I checked it out to my satisfaction and set that up, followed by joining the pooled income fund portion when that was added. I am very satisfied with their program, especially since I am familiar with some of the funds that they invest in.

The Charitable Remainder Trust permits me to make gifts to charitable groups (IRS defined) with $250 minimum gifts but serves me well to support charities I specify. (I happen to have the forms on my desk right now for my current list.) Where I choose less support I make less frequent gifts. I funded this ($10K min.) with appreciated stock. When I funded it, I got a charitable deductions for tax purposes of 100% of the market value of the stock.

A pooled income fund within this trust pays income from the dividends and interest that fund collects from its investments, currently about 5+%, for our two lifetimes. After that, the fund is transfered to the Trust which is dispersed by whoever we appoint as a person to direct that dispersing or as otherwise directed. The point is that we have control over where it is dispersed (a "self directed" setup).

I think it is a great way to guarantee an income stream, participate in stock market growth, avoid long term capital gains, and get a charitable deduction at the same time, as well as moving assets out of an estate. By yearly contributions I simplify tax carryovers of charitable gifts to <30% of AGI.

I have also set up funds for relatives, taking advantage of the $10,000 per year per person gift provision. These funds eventually feed back into our Trust. The "gifts" are the "non-charitable" part of the contribution.

Good luck. Hope this if of use to some of you!!

gapfan :-)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.