Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 10
Charlieblack,

Samsung is the company that keeps Ericsson and Nokia up at night. AOL/Transmeta/Gateway are going to keep alot of people up at night. Palm, Mobile Linux, PicoBSD, yes its more than possible that we'll see a platform explosion.

Samsung's handset marketshare is insignificant compared to the Big Three to begin with. It will be even more interesting to see how Samsung will perform once the Korean government removes handset subsidies.

Palm? Let's see: since Palm introduced the first PDA in 1996 until March 2000, it has sold some 6 million units, or an average of 1.5 million units a year. Nokia sold 78.5 million handsets in 1999 alone -- that's 1.5 million units a week.

Symbian has the support of the major handset makers: Ericsson has a 21% stake in Symbian, Nokia owns another 21%, Motorola yet another 21% and Mitsubishi 9%. What will happen to Palm when Nokia, Ericsson, Motorola and Mitsubishi start rolling-out EPOC/Quartz-powered phones?

I don't post on Yahoo, and I take it you didn't complement me. Nevertheless, I'm confused as to what your question/point is.

I apologize for my original statement -- it seems like you genuinely do not understand Nokia's business model. I suggest you visit the Nokia board and read the FAQ and the recent posts, to clear up the misconceptions.

Consider historical adoption trends; radios, wiredphones, tvs, cars. At first you only had one, then two and now as many as you want. Most families, even those below poverty, have more than one car, tv, radio. I expect the same thing will happen towards the end of this decade. Subs will have a carrier account accessible by MANY devices. Most people will have 3 or more wireless data broadband devices. Heck I have 5 PCs in my home office right now.

That's the whole point! Nokia is "paving the way to the Mobile Information Society," delivering products like wireless DSL internet gateway and various kinds of multimedia terminals.

As per Nokia's history, you know of course that earlier this decade they almost went bankrupt. Superior handsets saved their ass. Their current advantage in handsets doesn't offer/represent high BOE or high SC. Two of the main ingredients for gorillas. Design and fashion are not stable sustainable foundations.

Bankrupt? I don't think so. Nokia used to make paper and rubber boots, sure, but that's not today's Nokia. The market reality is that strong value chains have formed around Nokia: it has incredible economies of scale in manufacturing and it enjoys the strongest purchasing power in the wireless industry. Some compared Nokia to Dell -- but I don't think that's a good comparison. As the 11th most valuable brand in the world, Nokia has successfully built a widening moat around its business model.

Switching costs: Nokia base stations and site solutions contain slots for HSCSD, GPRS, EDGE and WCDMA. Once an operator implements a Nokia network, its upgrade path to 3G is locked-in, unless you believe that HSCSD, GPRS, EDGE and WCDMA are all vaporware. Nokia is now neck-to-neck with Ericsson in the GPRS infrastructure market.

http://www.nokia.com/networks/mobile/bss/index.html
http://www.nokia.com/networks/mobile/bss/gateway.html

This whole thread has been a determination/comparision of QCOM and Nokia as Gorillas.

Nokia and Qualcomm are very different animals competing in different markets (although there are overlaps). Nokia is the undisputed King in the handset market, while Qualcomm is the Gorilla in cdmaOne (it may or may not be in 3G). But since time immemorial, humans have always triumph over beasts! ;-)

Breaking news: Nokia and China Unicom bring WAP to mobile networks in China
http://press.nokia.com/PM/783586.html

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.