Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
CharlieBlack wrote: Let me add a big hearty DITTO to that. But since this is TMF let me sprinkle some numbers for the DD crowd. QCOM has roughtly 150 CDMA patents with close to 500 pending, and then more on the horizon. Anything that is remotely related to their CDMA technology is "covered and smoothered". (credit to Waffle House).

I did a patent search with Qualcomm as assignee and CDMA in all fields. The search yielded 248 entries:

http://164.195.100.11/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=0&f=S&l=50&TERM1=Qualcomm&FIELD1=ASNM&co1=AND&TERM2=CDMA&FIELD2=&d=pall

I did a similar search on Ericsson and CDMA, and the search yielded 250 matching documents. Nokia also has more than 150 patent documents referencing CDMA, DS-CDMA and WCDMA, including one on WCDMA power control.

I don't think I can agree with the statement "anything that is remotely related to their CDMA technology is 'covered and smothered'," although I can agree with you more if you say Qualcomm owns the core patents for CDMA.

However, to me the net royalties Qualcomm will receive as part of 3G sales is unknown. Qualcomm will be making WCDMA and GSM dualmode chipsets, and by doing so, it will have to pay the other patent holders.

As many contend, 3G is still several years into the future. I don't quite consider 1xrtt as 3G simply because it is included in the IMT-MC specs (heck, GPRS is also part of the IMT-DS specs). GPRS, HSCSD, EDGE, WAP and Bluetooth are where the money is in the near future.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.