Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
If you and your husband are retired, DO NOT TRANSFER YOUR 403bs to TIAA CERF. It is better for you to roll them over to an IRA by a trustee to trustee transfer. You can then invest in any stock, mutual fund, bond, etc that your IRA trustee will allow. Be sure you select an IRA trustee that will allow all of these options. If you transfer to TIAA CERF you will be limited to there investment options and be controlled by their rules for withdrawal. Also, be sure that your trustee will allow you to use all possible ways of determining your joint life expectancies, joint/term certain, joint/recalculate, and most important, joint/hybrid methods. When you reach 70.5 you are required by law to take minimum required distributions from all of your tax-deferred accounts.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.