Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Chase is my least favorite for foreign transactions. I have only tried to use it once outside the U.S., but the charge was declined even though I had notified Chase of my travel plans. Then, when I tried to send them a secure message through their web site, they disabled my web access.

I admit I am biased against big banks (as a customer).

I use three credit cards; one only for historical reasons.

1.) American Express: I have never had it refused overseas (Italy, France, England). Once I took my sister to Venice and we rode the Orient Express to London. And we came back. The cost for that was $8500 (this was around 20 years ago). American Express did not even blink an eye and did not call me about that charge. I called them after getting the tickets and hotel reservations to be sure the card would still be honored. They said it would, that there is no limit on what I could charge.

2.) I then got a Visa card from my local credit union. Here in USA there are a few establishments that will not take American Express, but will take Visa and Master Card. And there is no annual fee for that Visa card. I do not like Visa because they charge very high fees and instant interest on some transactions*. Also, my credit union no longer likes them and so I then got

3.) Master Card, which also has no annual fee. So far, in USA, everyone who takes credit cards takes that.

I notice that lately a few businesses have started imposing a service charge when credit cards are used. They call it a discount for cash purchases. In the old days, credit card companies prohibited that, but I guess they cannot do that anymore. The highest is about 3.75%, another 2.5%. Many will not take credit cards if the purchase is under some minimum (typically $10). My barber will take only cash; no credit cards, no checks.

And this has nothing really to do with this topic, but I have been getting a lot of telephone calls about my Visa card. They can lower my interest, the want to check on my purchases, etc. But these are not really from Visa at all. But Phishers and other nefarious [censored].

_____
* As an example, if I want to send money by Western Union, they add a $25 fee to the amount in addition to Western Union's already high fees, and they start charging interest immediately, not just starting at the beginning of the next billing period.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.