Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Cheap? First cheap is not good. Inexpensive is good. I hope this stock doesn't get cheaper. Also from a simple pe ratio type of view point, this stock does not appear inexpensive in my eyes. Here is data from today:
Ticker - P/E
rtnb 16.79
noc 7.22
lmt 9.73
ba 17.92

(Raytheon, Northrop Grumman, Lockheed Martin, Boeing)

Raytheon is the third largest defense contractor and it trades at the second highest P/E ratio of the top four defense contractors. By looking at the p/e ratios, wouldn't you agree that Northrop is the least expensive? Especially in light of the fact that Northrop hasn't surprised analysts twice in the last 6-9 months?

I have serious concerns about the increase in the stock price of rtnb. Isn't it fair to compare it to other companies that it competes with? How much can the price of rtnb increase given that other companies in the same industry all trade at similar or lower p/e ratios? Also, don't the earnings of defense contracts depend on the defense budget, which has done nothing but shrink since the Gulf War? Is there any upside potential in this stock? Especially since its 52 week high was based on inflated earnings estimates?

I really have a hard time seeing how the valuation of rtnb will significantly increase. Let me know your thoughts on Raytheon and the p/e comparison that I have done above.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.