Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I may be moving from my 3rd floor apartment (stairs outside) to a house in the near future. I have an entertainment center from wal-mart that is very heavy and poorly constructed -- I built it according to their instructions, but structurally it is very weak and would be easy to damage. It will take 3 guys to carry it downstairs, and there is a significant chance that it will be damaged even if the movers do their job responsibly and not hastily. It would cost me about $100 to replace, and a few hours of my time to assemble the replacement.

So I'm asking the mover... have any tips for me, from your experience with this sort of thing?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm not the mover, but is it held together with cam locks?
http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/project_images/knockdownjoints/c...

I've successfully moved these by breaking the piece down into smaller sections. We have a desk that we've moved this way several times.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Yes it is! That is a good idea.
So I'm asking the mover... have any tips for me, from your experience with this sort of thing?

Ah - so glad you asked.

This kind of furniture is not really made to be moved. The material, called Press-board, or Particle-board, is notoriously fragile. As a result, most moving companies will make you sign a 'particle board waiver' that in effect says, "We'll move it, but don't complain if breaks into splinters on the way".

If it has the cam-locks, go ahead and try to take it apart, but just be prepared to replace it if things don't go well.

I wish I had a better answer, but that's the truth of the matter.

Gary
yeah, I kinda figured.

Would it be normal to expect the moving company to dispose of it if it breaks during the move? If I am sort of expecting it to fall apart if we try to move it, would it be more appropriate for me to remove it on my own?
Would it be normal to expect the moving company to dispose of it if it breaks during the move? If I am sort of expecting it to fall apart if we try to move it, would it be more appropriate for me to remove it on my own?

I've seen it go either way. It'll just depend on the moving company. Also, most garbage collection companies tend to have a 'honeymoon' period for new customers, and will pick up old boxes and what not.

Gary