No. of Recommendations: 0
I used to use Verizon DSL, and was happy with it. Then, when I moved, DSL wasn't available in my area. The only thing out there that was fast was Comcast. I got a good deal with them for the first 18 months, but now the promotion has expired and I have to pay $65 a month just for internet, and I think that's too much.

I see some cell phone companies offer a little USB device you can hook to your computer and get internet access, and according to the Sprint map, I am in an excellent 4G coverage area, but I don't know if this would work or not.

Anyone here have any other ideas or recomendations for me?

Mike in NJ
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I see some cell phone companies offer a little USB device you can hook to your computer and get internet access, and according to the Sprint map, I am in an excellent 4G coverage area, but I don't know if this would work or not.

I have been pretty satisfied with a somewhat similar Sprint device, although
(a) if you care about mobility, Verizon has generally better coverage than Sprint (if you don't care about mobility, ignore this and check who actually does have good coverage in the location you care about), and
(b) I have never noticed actually being in an area with 4G coverage. Not surprising considering that I live in a motorhome...

I say somewhat similar because my device isn't normally connected to the computer. Instead it's a wifi hub.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Mike there are a few things I urge you to check before you change.

#1 Speed of service. The Cellphone based systems that I am aware of are significantly slower than DSL.
#2 Amount of usage. Some of the Cellphone based systems have usage caps. With Comcast you can check your usage. They have a usage meter on the Comcast.com website. This is because there is a maximum that only a small fraction (less than 1%) run up against.

Even if you can get a cellphone based system without a capacity limit today, do not expect that to continue. There is a reason AT&T dropped unlimited data on iPhones and that is the same reason Verizon is making it clear their offer of unlimited data is of short duration.

Gordon
Atlanta
"Anyone here have any other ideas or recomendations for me? "

First, call Comcast and ask them what they might have available. Maybe they have a new deal to compete with whatever is out there or is coming? Doesn't hurt to ask. Maybe DSL is now available in your area (or FIOS)?

I just switched from DSL to Cablevision/Optimum. $30 a month for first 12 mo.s, then goes to around $45 per. I'm told the future is FIOS, and if that becomes available, I may switch again.

Ken
That "cheap little" 4g device will be a lot slower and could cost you more than Comcast. Call Comcast and ask for the "retainer" package which I think it ~20.00 for the lowest 1.5/384K package.
(a) if you care about mobility, Verizon has generally better coverage than Sprint (if you don't care about mobility, ignore this and check who actually does have good coverage in the location you care about), and

Verizon doesn't have Wimax and for 80 dollars you get 3G 10 GB package. Comcast would be 250GB and less money and more speed.
No. of Recommendations: 0
You guys were right....the more I looked into everything available, the more I realize that for the speed, I have one of the cheapest set-ups available! Amazing how little time it takes me to get accustomed to something. I used to be happy with dial-up at $10 a month or so. I swore I'd never pay $40/mo for high speed! Now, here I am considering paying $65 so as not to lose the speed!

I talked to Comcast, and they did have a cheaper package. I think exeter was right- around 1.5mbs. My current speed is around 9mbs, so I am not sure how much difference it will make. I do like to check out videos on Youtube, but other than that....

Mike in NJ