No. of Recommendations: 2
Check into an Asset Depletion mortgage. It is what we did a few years ago after being retired and having no earned income (Capital gains is not a salary).

Sorry, that won't work in this case.

You missed a critical piece of information in your reply, that this mortgage would be for a rental property.

Asset Depletion Mortgages are only allowed for your principal residence. I know this because I am in the process of buying my first rental property after retiring, and I was on the edge of showing I had enough income. My loan officer looked into using Asset Depletion for the needed income, but said it's only available for mortgages on your principal residence. Luckily, my issue was resolved by adjusting out the large one-time expense for taking out a tree that had grown too close to one of my rental properties, so I didn't have to set up a regular withdrawal from an IRA account, as mentioned in my previous post.

Print the post  


Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.