Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Check out this web site for information on equity compensation rules as it pertains to taxation. I have purchased 2 of the books and found them easy to read and very up-to-date.

Thanks for the link! I actually am really familiar with the tax laws associated with the ESPP because I used to be a stock plan administrator (we don't have any ISO's through DELL, so no evil AMT worries there), but the site had really good information on UTMA's. (I don't know why I wrote UTGMA before... I guess I was trying to combine the two, LOL!)

We could definitely wait, and then gift her the money once she actually reaches college. That might be what we end up doing... I just wanted to know if I could use this as a 1st birthday present for her. We're talking about a small amount, maybe 20 shares (~$700). A UTMA might be the best option because it's a small amount so it shouldn't affect her financial aid too much, and she won't have a tax liability until the shares are sold, right?

What kind of fees are usually associated with opening a UTMA account? Will the fees eat up most of my contribution?

Thanks for everyone's help!

:-) Juice
Print the post  


Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.