Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Late summer is the best time to be on the Olympic Peninsula. The summer crowds are gone and all of the special destinations are perfectly stunning. I think I’m 73 now I can’t seem to remember how old I am.

I do need to thank all the really big brains I have met here over the years. I can’t believe where I am in life.

I have a tax question for a friend of mine. She said : When my parents died , I inherited a younger brother who is on the spectrum. He didn’t work while he lived with my parents, but did the heavy work allowing them to age in their Alaskan home. Doing so, he wasn’t Contributing to SS. I found him a low paying job and he has been paying me 500.00 a month to help with groceries and utilities. After many years I asked my 3 remaining siblings to give 100.00 a month to his care. Basically I am getting a extra bit of money. 800. I have had him on a section eight housing list for years but they tell me it will likely be another year. Covid has really screwed up movement in this area of housing.

I have not been claiming this money. But I was thinking of calling some of it a gift as it goes through my checking account.

My brothers 500 I have been taking in cash. It generally goes to big Costco run, lawn and pruning services, stuff neither of us do any more.

What should I advise my friend. ??

My home like other West Coast homes has more than double in value. Most homes on my street now sell for the mid 600,000s. It has caused a rapid turnover of homes as the oldsters are taking the money and running. I don’t have anywhere to run to, where the cost of living would be lower then here.
It is also bringing in more gentrification which is hard on our working class locals.

I took 50,000 out of my house, to buy a new car, bed, big tv and few other long deferred items.
I don’t like my new car. It is very smart, smarter tone me. It is a hybrid which I believe was a waste of 8,00 dollars. I don’t get near the sticker mileage. CRT hybrid. Like driving a noisy boat.

I canceled several trips to events in Sesttle. Did go back to Alaska this summer but that is it for leaving the Peninsula.

How is life yor you folks?
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.