Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
CheersSRX posts,

With regard to health care, I'll share my approach. I am 61, and thus a few years short of Medicare. Prior to my wife's passing in 2018, I had been on her corporate coverage for 30+ years. Then, I suddenly needed health care coverage on my own.

The cheapest Bronze plan I could get would be $13,000/year just for the premiums; followed of course by deductible, co-pays, etc. My income is too high for an ACA subsidy. So I joined a health sharing organization, which you can learn about by googling "health share ministries".

</snip>

Rather than taking a chance on "health share ministries", I spent some time learning about how the Obamacare law works. You could own $100 million in Berkshire Hathaway stock and still get a large refundable tax credit since Obamacare only looks at income, not assets.

I spent a few years rearranging my portfolio to limit interest and dividend income and am now paying the princely sum of $1.43/month for my Obamacare plan, just $17.16/year. When I was doing my retirement planning years ago, I forecast $20,000/yr for health insurance premiums in my 60's.

Obamacare Repeal? My amazing story of drastically lower premiums.
https://retireearlyhomepage.com/obamacare_2017.html

</snip>

Sure I have a crap for-profit health plan, like everyone else with private insurance, but I'm paying a premium much closer to its value.

"Free Obamacare" has been an unexpected retirement blessing, it makes many of these health share ministries look like the Devil's work.

Patients tell their stories as Washington state orders ‘sham’ health-care sharing ministries to halt
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/patients-te...

</snip>

intercst
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.