Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
This is becoming a farce, like a surreal Saturday Night
Live skit...

yes, but quite humorous and entertaining - but now back to business: I posted this over on the quagmire, cause the subject had already been broached (http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=19084151), but thought that everyone over here would be interested as well:

===========

In one of the most stunning examples of selfish, greedy, conflicts of interest in American political history, VP (BIG) Dick Cheney voted himself a huge pay raise by casting the tie-breaking vote on the Bush tax-cut plan. The propogandist in the bush admin and their counterparts in the right-wing media (virtually ALL U.S. media), will try to make us focus on the increased child credit and reduction of taxes for married people filing jointly, but by far the biggest chunk of cash goes to tax payers in the highest bracket who had their taxes reduced from 38.5% to 35% and to those with large dividend income. Cheney stands to gain $100,000s/yr by casting one vote - not a bad days work - and that's what government is all about, right? </scrsm>
================
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2003-05-23-congress-taxes-approved1_x.htm
Senate approves $330 billion in tax cuts
WASHINGTON (AP) — Congress gave its final approval Friday to $330 billion in new tax cuts for families, investors and businesses, handing President Bush a victory despite sharply curtailing his plan for lifting the economy from its knees.
The Republican-led Senate approved the measure by 51-50, with Vice President Dick Cheney casting the decisive vote in the narrowly divided chamber. Two hours after midnight, the GOP-run House had used a 231-200 vote to sign off on the legislation, which also included $20 billion in aid for cash-hungry states. Bush was poised to sign the bill.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
You cannot be serious. Please, tell me you are not. You think that is what this was about? Bush and Cheney run for President/VP, put themselves through the rigors of a campaign, the pressure of the position, all so that they can vote themselves a pay raise???

The class warfare stuff is so pathetic its not funny. Find a new line. Take a look at who pays all the taxes. Its still people in Cheney's pay grade and above.
No. of Recommendations: 10
The class warfare stuff is so pathetic its not funny. Find a new line. Take a look at who pays all the taxes. Its still people in Cheney's pay grade and above.

The funny thing to me about all the conservative apologists is their willingness to defend the people at the very top. The top 1 or even 10% of taxpayers couldn't possibly win elections on their own, but somehow they have legions of devoted defenders. And I think I know why: everyone thinks they're likely to be rich someday. Just like most people think they're upper middle class. Or just like everyone thinks their kid is above average.

i can understand republicans who subscribe to the ideological agenda, but i do not understand their willingness to fight to the death for tax breaks to the richest top proportion, in an income bracket they will likely never achieve. i guess eveyrone thinks some crumbs will fall off the table for them, too. The reality is likely quite different.

This whole idea that bush cares about working class people is quite interesting. It's coming from a guy that never had to work for anything in his life. he was fed on the silver spoon. without the family name, he very likely could have died in vietnam, or couldn't have gotten into yale. this is the white version of affirmative action. if he wants minorities to compete on a level playing field and receive no preferences, then he should step up to the plate and enlist for the military service that he avoided, and he should go back to college and apply to yale on an anonymous basis to see if his grades would have gotten him in.

-hack
No. of Recommendations: 1
hackshark: The funny thing to me about all the conservative apologists is their willingness to defend the people at the very top. The top 1 or even 10% of taxpayers couldn't possibly win elections on their own, but somehow they have legions of devoted defenders.

It is very hard to believe isn't it? Its almost as though it doesn't only benefit the top 1 or 10% of taxpayers. Its almost as if there is some other principle besides making sure I get as much as I can AND others don't.

if he wants minorities to compete on a level playing field and receive no preferences, then he should step up to the plate and enlist for the military service that he avoided,

There's a truly brilliant argument. The president of the United States should enlist in the military (note to the uninformed: he was a draft-dodging anti-US protestor like...well, you know) or else cannot oppose racial preferences. Gee, lets see if the logic police come out for this one.