No. of Recommendations: 3
I saw Chicago last night. I thought it was a good movie, better than most of the dreck coming out lately -- not one dull minute, Queen Latifah's bawdy number was worth the price of admission, and the ventriloquist scene was both funny and chilling -- and worthy of at least an Oscar for best editing. It definitely has that Fosse look to it, which got me thinking about All That Jazz.

All That Jazz
is a semi-autobiographical film about a choreographer (Roy Schneider) who is working on on a new musical starring his ex-wife, editing a movie about a comic (Fosse edited the movie Lenny), dealing with his girlfriend and trying to bond with his preteen daughter, all the while dealing with health problems. The overriding theme of the movie is death, personified by Jessica Lange, and after suffering a massive heart attack he sees his life played out in a series of song and dance numbers.

All That Jazz is the logical dress rehersal for Chicago; I don't think the first song in Chicago, "All That Jazz," was coincidential. Although some of the earlier choreography looks dated now, it stands up well. When Chicago comes out on DVD, the combination of the two would make a great double feature night.

Uhura :o)
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.