Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have two kids, a 17 year old who probably will go to college and a 14 year old who definitely will. Each has a UGTMA account, a Coverdell account, and a college CD (like a 529). I am concerned that my 17 year old is almost 18 (which puts him in control of the UGTMA account and perhaps the other two) and can't be trusted with the money. I don't want him to cash out these 3 accounts to buy drugs. However, I am concerned that it is against the law to remove the money from these accounts because the accounts are in his name, with me as custodian. I would like to liquidate the accounts and put the money into my checking or savings account so that he can't use it for drugs and so that I could pay the college myself if he does go to college. I don't want to break any laws or get audited by the IRS, but I have worked very hard for this money and don't want it used to feed a drug habit. I don't know if a Coverdell or a college CD can be transferred to the 14 year old, but I suspect the UGTMMA one can't be transferred. I'd appreciate some advice. Thank you.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.