Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Last year my IRA manager advised me that I could reduce my taxes by withdrawing 1/2 of my 8yr old son's mutual fund (which was giving him dividends over $700) and invest the money in stocks like MSFT, AOL, DIS. I did this and now I've received a 1099-B for the $4000 I redeemed,as well as the normal 1099-DIV, from my son's mutual fund.
My question is how do I file the 1099-B for my son? Do I include it in my 1040 Section D, Capital Gains and Loses? Do I file a FORM 8615 (computation tax for investment of children under 14)? I'm not sure how to treat this as I thought that by reinvesting my son's monies into stocks under his name was suppose to wash this. Am I missing something here?
Sorry but my IRA manager passed away in the later part of last year, or I would've asked him. Can anyone help?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.