Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
China May Halt Purchases of U.S. Treasuries...

This is extremely important news.

The bond market is much, much larger than the stock market.

Bond investors (myself included) will be very concerned that China may no longer be going to backstop prices of US Treasury obligations.

All bonds in the world (including the German Bund and Japanese Government Bonds) are priced off the stability of US Treasury obligations, which in turn depend upon China's heretofore insatiable demand for the liquidity and stability of US debt.

If bond prices start to move too quickly, China will hopefully reverse this announcement - or soften it somehow, in order to preserve their own reserve account balance sheet.

I am nervous about this and all things going on in the bond markets - and if I am nervous about it, then I guarantee a lot of other bond investors are likewise nervous - or at least actively watching for what happens next.

Bill Gross called the end of the 25-year bond bull market yesterday.

There is a convergence of factors occurring around the world having to do with fixed income investments.

Even Japanese government debt yields increased today. That is big, big news by itself.
Print the post  

Announcements

This is a Politics Free Board
Politically charged posts are not permitted on the Metar Board. If you make a political post, and it is alerted, the post will be removed. Thanks!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.