No. of Recommendations: 0
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46527975

A Canadian, reported to be a former diplomat, has been detained in China and his current employer says it is working for his prompt release.
The International Crisis Group said it was "aware of reports" of Michael Kovrig's detention.
Prime Minister Trudeau said Canada is in direct contact with Chinese authorities concerning the case.

No details on why he is being held.
Print the post Back To Top
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/12/world/asia/china-michael-...

China said on Wednesday that a Canadian former diplomat who was detained in Beijing had been employed by an organization that was “not registered in China legally,” citing a law passed in 2016 that has had a chilling effect on the work of foreign charities, universities and nonprofit groups in the country.

The assertion was China’s first official comment on the detention of Michael Kovrig, senior adviser for Northeast Asia for the International Crisis Group, an independent nongovernmental organization that tries to defuse international conflict.
No. of Recommendations: 1
China said on Wednesday that a Canadian former diplomat who was detained in Beijing had been employed by an organization that was “not registered in China legally,”

Our resident Chief Canadian would be well-advised to take note and avoid travel to China, at least for the immediate future.

One can imagine the Beijing authorities detaining our pal Tim for "practicing smugness without a license," or some other "Trumped"-up charge.

I just couldn't resist.

;-)
One can imagine the Beijing authorities detaining our pal Tim for "practicing smugness without a license," or some other "Trumped"-up charge.

I just couldn't resist.

I'm more likely to avoid travel to the US these days, they cage children down there for speaking Spanish just imagine what they would do if they read some of my posts!

Why the poor CEO of Google is desperately trying to explain the results of Googling 'idiot' right now!

Anymouse
No. of Recommendations: 2
Poland charges 2, including Huawei manager, with spying for China
www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-huawei-poland-espionage-20190111...
Poland’s Internal Security Agency has charged a Chinese manager at tech giant Huawei in Poland and one of its own former security officers with espionage against Poland on behalf of China, state television reported Friday....

The development comes as a U.S. dispute with China over a ban on Huawei is spilling over to Europe, the company’s biggest foreign market, where some countries are also starting to shun its network systems over data-security concerns.

DB2