Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

According to a study released at the beginning of this year by the OECD, right around today, plus or minus a few weeks, China will surpass the U.S. in its R&D spend. If you are like me, you are scratching your head right now and thinking, "wow, that happened fast."

This is, I think, a watershed moment, because it will very soon mark an important shift from IP violator to IP protector. I personally think that China will soon accelerate reforms in how it deals with IP violators, since becoming a staunch defender of its rights under TRIPs requires respecting the IP of others. To be sure, Chinese companies and individuals will continue to steal IP from outsider to China, but the shift to more of a "catch-me-if-you-can" approach is probably soon to be under way if in fact, it is not so already. My prediction is that this tectonic shift will be an important consideration for those investing in and around China over the next couple of years, as Chinese courts learn to take more of an IP friendly approach. While this may turn out to be as many as five years away from reaching the bottom lines of companies likely to be affected by the change, it will eventually favor American and European companies who have been getting short shrift from decreased sales abroad (and sometimes domestically) and will increasingly disperse those would-be IP thieves in China among a wider pool in an attempt by them to make detection more difficult. Finally, it may lead to certain labor intensive industries that have been previously wary of moving overseas to rethink their prior decision.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.