Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
As an outside observer one has to wonder if this is truly "trust busting" or "mercantilism" at work. I'm not ready to pass judgement but I do believe that to be successful emerging economies do have to follow accepted norms of behavior, at least to some extent. Japan's protectionist policies worked quite well for a while until their delusion that Japan had a "different kind of economy" backfired. South Korea cleaned up it's "chaebol" act. I'm hopeful for China as a place to invest.

China set to punish Chrysler, Audi for 'monopoly' behavior
Published: August 6, 2014 9:09 AM
REUTERS

SHANGHAI/BEIJING — China’s antitrust regulator said on Wednesday it would punish Audi and Chrysler for monopoly practices, potentially paving the way for the automakers to be fined up to 10 percent of their domestic annual sales revenue in the world’s biggest car market.
Chrysler is owned by Fiat SpA while Volkswagen owns Audi, and both are premium brands in China. The regulator, the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC), said an ongoing investigation into the two companies showed they had "conducted anti-competitive behaviors".
"They will be punished accordingly in the near future," NDRC spokesman Li Pumin told a press conference in Beijing.

http://www.newsday.com/classifieds/cars/china-set-to-punish-...

Denny Schlesinger
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.