Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
chkNYC writes (in part):

Do I need to file amended tax returns for those years? Or is there some way I can just file the appropriate 8606's?

I reply:

A few years ago I forgot to include our Forms 8606. I simply filed them as stand-alone documents a few months later. The only practical difference is that when you file them as stand-alones, you sign them, whereas if you include them with your return, you don't (because you've signed the return as a whole). --Bob
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.