Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Chooey:This has worked very well for us, as well. DH tends to like to spend on the fun stuff, and since he's making more than I do, he gets to spend on fun....Anyhow, when he wants to splurge on something, he can, and he's not using my money.

See, this is my problem with the whole thing. I guess it's easy for me because DW and I make almost exactly the same amount of money. But we both agree on what we are going to splurge on and when I am going to spend money on something that I won't use or isn't worth it then she talks me out of it and when she wants to buy a BMW X5 and we can't afford one I talk her out of that.

It requires a lot of cooperation and understanding what is important to the other person but I think if we did it any other way we wouldn't be able to save as much. We have to communicate about what we really want but she knows, for example, how excited I am about NCAA Football 2004 and totally supports me when I buy it. However, when I decide on a whim that I want a new video game she talks me out of it.

In a few years DW will likely quit working to make babies. I don't imagine that she will feel the least bit guilty about earning an income, and it won't bother me in the slightest for her to control the finances. By communicating with each other there are few hurt feelings or control issues and we save a lot.

st
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.