Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

Were you also given the option of leaving the 401(k) account alone? If so, that might be an option until you find other work. If not, you'll have to set up a Traditional IRA to hold this money. You cannot roll 401(k) money into a Roth IRA.

If you roll the money to an IRA, it's best not to receive a check, but to have it done in a "trustee to trustee transfer". If your administrator says they can't do that, make sure the check is made out to your new IRA trustee, with the wording "FBO chrewick", but of couse use your real name (I don't take anything for granted).

Also, if you roll this money to a Traditional IRA, and do not add any additional contributions, the IRA will qualify as a "conduit IRA" and may be rolled back into a new employer's 401(k) plan if the new plan allows.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.