Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Chris -

Actually, upon termination of employment you have options...

(1) Leave the balance in the 403b account (and continue to manage it)

(2) Transfer it to another 403b or 403b(7) account

(3) Direct rollover to an IRA

(4) Total or partial withdrawal (and pay tax + penalty for premature withdrawal before age 59½)

You are not required to take installment payments (in the classic "annuity" mode, though it is an option).

Best wishes, PP
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.