Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 15
CM is Chris Matthews, and MKH is Mary Katherine Ham.

http://www.allamericanblogger.com/19653/in-interview-chris-m...

MKH: It seems like [the Occupy movement] is equally scary.

CM: Mary Katherine, I call them as I see them. That’s the best that anybody can do, is call them as I see them. I saw those people spitting on Congressmen. I saw them yelling at them. I saw a lot of the anger in the room. I remember what happened in ’63, I remember the violence and the atmosphere was terrible. The hatred of a president personally. Actually ad hominem. They hated the guy. I saw that level of hatred and I remember seeing it before. Of course I’m worried about it. Why do you think we have a Secret Service?

MKH: No, I agree with you.

CM: If you don’t think there was an honest fear of violence in that very hot period around 2010, that was real, I think you’re wrong. I think there was a real fear on the part of security people that it might get out of hand. The hatred was real and palpable.

[Crosstalk]

CM: I don’t think there was a palpable security fear. Who were the Occupy people after personally? Where was the personal hatred there?

MKH: Well, they were assaulting each other, and there were many cases where people were getting shot in the camps.

CM: Let’s be honest. We’re worried about the security of the President of the United States.

MKH: Alright, so that’s the dividing line. It felt like one side was allowed to be angry and the other side was not.

CM: The distinction here, the distinction was the concern. I was over at Arlington one time, at the Lee Mansion, I heard this guy talking about “the cause.” I was beginning to think, “Is this a real Tea Party kind of guy?” And I go, “What is this, ‘the cause?’ This isn’t the Civil War continued is it? Is this some, The Great Cause?” There’s a real level of national hatred of the president that I hadn’t seen before. Certainly not under Clinton, or under Dubya.

MKH: Under Dubya you didn’t see that? Are you? Oh Lordie.

CM: Oh it was there. The hatred, the Hitler mustaches. I hadn’t seen that before.

MKH: You didn’t see that during the Bush administration?

Another Host: I remember it.

CM: Well, you guys have a point of view and I’m trying to look at this objectively.
------------------------------------------------------
Good LORD!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.