No. of Recommendations: 7
Chris, Saul, All,
I took a hard look at my portfolio due to three factors on August 5. First, I should only invest in growth stocks what I intend to keep for the long hall. Second, my company is imploding due to gross mismanagement. My group, new technology R&D, is being shuttered. Third, the trade war looks to be longer than I envisioned.

I evaluated what I need for retirement today, and pulled that money. I take a slightly different tack than selling what I need from a growth portfolio for day to day expenses, but I put what I need into a REIT portfolio for my retirement income stream. I am periodically rebalancing REIT/Growth to provide fuel to the growth portion in down years and fuel to the REIT to keep my income growth solid.

The key point is stay in these excellent companies as much as you can, but not more. If your allocation is correct for your life circumstances, then you should sleep well. That balance should be found before the storms hit.

Best,

bulwnkl

PS YTD RoR = 34%
PPS My retirement ended before it started. Sometimes things that look dark ain't so bad after all.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.