Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1

You wrote, I am considering investing in some exchange-traded bonds for some foreign companies (e.g., IGK, CRP, HTN). Does anyone know if the coupons are subject to foreign tax withholding like stocks are (figuring that HTN might be exempt like British companies are)?

I had the same concern before buying INZ and IDG (issues similar to IGK from ING) a couple of months ago. I posted the question on an ING board on Yahoo Finance. One poster came back and said that foreign tax did not apply.

So far I have received one dividend from INZ (IDG was purchased after the last dividend). The account posted exactly 45 cents/share, which is the stated quarterly coupon amount for INZ. So at least ING's issues are paid exempt from foreign taxes; I can't speak for the others, but I suspect all of the EU issues are treated much the same.

- Joel
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.