Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Highly Recommended. This is a Brazilian film about the rise of the "organized" crime trade in a Rio slum, told through the eyes of a boy growing up there. What gets you about it is the lack of overdramatization - everything is told very matter-of-factly, the way only someone who really experienced it could tell it. The way that violence turns very quickly, over a few years, into an absolute given in the society is almost as unnoticeable to the viewer as to the residents, until suddenly you look around and you're in a war zone.

The ending is one of the most haunting scenes I've seen in a long time.

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Someone from Brazil just recommended that movie to me this past weekend. I hear they used real street kids in the film giving it almost a documentary feel.

Lieve
Someone from Brazil just recommended that movie to me this past weekend. I hear they used real street kids in the film giving it almost a documentary feel.

I know that it's based on real events, particularly the main character is the writer of the story and a real photographer.

No. of Recommendations: 3
USA title: "City of God"

One of the best movies I've ever seen. I was especially impressed by is how the director introduced so many characters, yet still managed to make every one of them a real living breathing human being. That sort of efficient storytelling is as rare as it gets. Even better, the pacing of the film is urgent, the cinematography is consistently beautiful, the acting is natural, and the story is so good you will never know what is going to happen next.

It makes every aspect of Soderbergh's "Traffic" seem heavyhanded and mediocre in comparison.

People who have a real weak stomache for violence by and against children should stay far far away.

marxtacy
No. of Recommendations: 1
People who have a real weak stomache for violence by and against children should stay far far away.

Which is exactly why I haven't seen it. I couldn't even make it through Central Station after someone assured me it had a happy ending!

Lieve
representing wussy movie-goers around the globe!

Personally I found it easier to watch than most episodes of Law & Order: SVU.

Except that last scene, which doesn't have any physical violence in it.

I watched the Region 4 Brazil DVD release from eBay -- and thought it was one of the best films I've seen in recent years, second only to _OLDBOY_ and maybe _Return of the King_. I would compare it to _Amores Perros_ in respect to raw look and feel, although I thought the cinematography was even better. Highly recommend!!!
Great movie....but I must play Taylor for a second and point out that it looks like a very blatant Boyz N Tha Hood ripoff.

Still a great flick.

RJ