Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Interesting article with quotes from various Cingular executives. This one caught my eye.

"The world's standard is GSM, and we've chosen the technology that I think has the backing of all the major players in the world. GPRS is certainly the first packet-based network deployed by wireless phone companies throughout Europe," Carter said. "GPRS then turns into EDGE, which is even faster, and then to WCDMA. That's not to say that CDMA is a terrible thing; it obviously works. But it's got much more minor support around the world, and there's really no clear route to where it goes after the 1XRTT.

http://www.telecomclick.com/magazinearticle.asp?releaseid=2125&magazinearticleid=14247&magazineid=9
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Mike, looks like the Cingular honchos haven't heard about Sonera's GPRS system:

>>Reports about the atrocious quality of this GPRS service have been published in major newspapers such as Helsingin Sanomat and Kauppalehti. A vicious publicity backlash is in full swing; and only because of foolish corporate vanity<<

http://www.thestreet.com/comment/wirelesswiz/1231274.html

Steve
No. of Recommendations: 2
"looks like the Cingular honchos haven't heard about Sonera's GPRS system:"

Hi Steve,
You may be right, but somehow I doubt it. Its more likely that they think the glitches in Sonera's GPRS system are temporary and the result of trying to rush it out too fast. Which of course is one of the things that Tero was saying in the article that you linked.

I don't want to be too contentious here, but I am always amazed at how the QCOM faithful are always quick to believe that most of the major telecoms of the world are both uninformed and downright stupid.

I believe these multinational corporations all have large competent engineering departments, and they are all run by executives who are trying to make money for their shareholders. Isn't it at least possible that they have good business reasons for choosing the GSM/GPRS/UMTS path instead of Qualcomm's CDMA and CDMA2000?

O.T. You were smart to get out of ADAP when you did. I don't know if you are still following them, but today they preannounced reduced revenues for the quarter and even worse disclosed that there will be a delay in a $13 million order from Fuzion at the same time they are announceing that ADAP's $15 million capital investment in Fuzion is delayed. In other words it sounds like Fuzion was buying ADAP products using money from ADAP. Ugly at best. I was just lucky. I kept thinking that I would buy some shares when they started to recover. It never happened so I never got caught.
Mike said:

>>Isn't it at least possible that they have good business reasons for choosing the GSM/GPRS/UMTS path instead of Qualcomm's CDMA and CDMA2000?<<

We will probably see over the next couple years if carrier's loyalty to the GSM/GPRS/UMTS upgrade path is based on sound business judgement and will result in the more economic system, or they built out their systems using the best technology available at the time and feel locked in by their sunk costs.

OT, yes I dodged another bullet by dumping ADAP. The warning isn't a surprise after NTRO's warning. Their payments to Fuzion aren't that different from what HYBR did with Sprint, but at least Sprint can pay it's bills going forward.

Steve
Hello Steve.

I am interested in finding out information about Fuzion. Can you offer any insight?

Thanks,

Artwins
Hello Mike.

I am interested in finding out information about Fuzion. Can you offer any insight?

Thanks,

Artwins
No, I stopped paying attention to ADAP and Fuzion.
Thanks for getting back to me--I appreciate it anyway.