Skip to main content
Update
The boards are getting a new home!

We're pleased to announce an update is coming to the community boards.

Saturday, September 24th: We are migrating the boards to a new platform. The site is currently in read-only mode and we will bring it back online as soon as the migration is complete.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
This Board Has Moved

We are in the process of migrating the boards to our new platform! This board has already been migrated but you can click below to continue the discussion on the new site.

Go to the New Site
No. of Recommendations: 4
http://citi.bridgetrack.com/cbol/100offer/CG45.htm?BTData=402127372667C6F58514555BDB0AEA0B79F928A8FE6EFE78E16311

The above link is for an offer from Citibank. Open a Citibank checking account with a minimum initial deposit of $1,500 and then pay 2 bills online within 60 days of funding the account and receive $100. There is no mention of any "minimum balance" for any certain period of time to receive the $100 - just the minimum initial deposit and 2 bill pays.

This offer expires on 12/31/2002.

In case the above link doesn't work, the offer code is CG45.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
There is no mention of any "minimum balance" for any certain period of time to receive the $100 - just the minimum initial deposit and 2 bill pays.

Note that the offer does not apply to their "Basic Checking" account. All their other accounts do have fees for low balances, which depend on the type of account and the state you're in.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Isnt their interest rate real low ? It seems like I looked at such an offer before and decided that with the lower interest, it just wasnt worth the hassel.
All their other accounts do have fees for low balances, which depend on the type of account and the state you're in.

Indeed. I got knocked for $9.50 after transferring all the money out of my account, but not calling them to close it. I should have known better, but just "assumed" that taking all the money out was the same as closing the account. They said they would just keep charging $9.50 each month, until I paid them the balance. I finally got a supervisor to agree to close the account, and send me an invoice for the $9.50.

Ken
snt their interest rate real low ? It seems like I looked at such an offer before and decided that with the lower interest, it just wasnt worth the hassel.

there is no interest, but the $100 is greater than any interest one can gain on $1500 these days.
I guess you are right, just about $10 in interest forgone.

Are there any fees for closing it out or not keeping a minimum balance ?
No. of Recommendations: 1
If you choose the EZ Checking package, there is a $9.50 fee for going below a combined $1,500 balance. The combined balance, of course, includes all deposit accounts you may have with them. You could keep most of your money in the higher interest money market account and still avoid the fee.

The EZ Checking account doesn't earn interest, and the money market account is a very low 1.01%APY. However, $100 isn't bad for just opening an account and paying 2 bills online.

There is a $25.00 closing fee if you close the account in the first 90 days.

Citibank is a pretty good bank in some areas - they watch card usage, etc. very closely, and if there is any unusual activity, or if you try to use it for the first time in a year or so, they will call you and speak to you directly - I like the fact that they watch out for you like that.
GoCowboys,

It should also be noted that Citi is a leading credit card issuer, which makes them experts at this sort of thing...

You're right -- $100 for opening an account and paying 2 bills online does sound like a pretty good deal (In comparison, Fleet Bank was recently offering $25 for a similar deal).

Time to get that second star, now...

SJJ
Time to get that second star,

Yeah you can march to the Communist party and get a red star

You can take a short cut and post away (like some other posters in the past) to get your third star.
Does anyone know if Citibank does a full "credit check" before opening an account?
I can tell you that when I opened my account with Citibank (4 years ago) they did a Chex system verification. It wasn't until I opened a Checking Plus (overdraft) that they did a "real" credit check. By the way, I opened the Checking Plus not because I bounce checks, but because I can use that available credit to make deposited checks available for withdrawl more quickly.

dcFlash