Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My city accepted my property tax payment, and then applied it to my water bill account.

I discovered this at the very beginning of the year and had to write a new check (long story) and request a refund from the water department.

Can I treat this an internal accounting problem of the city's, and claim on my 2011 return the amount I paid the city for property taxes (which they put in the wrong bucket)? (Over 2011 and 2012 together it will wash out with the additional payment and the refund.)

- Megan
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.