Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'd have to imagine war puts a kink in home improvement. At least the kind where the war comes to you, like in Afghanistan. Or during the American Civil War, I imagine not a lot of new home building was going on.

If a Lubbock County, Texas judge's predictions come true, you may want to get that remodel in before November, in the event President Obama get re-elected. Seems Judge Tom Head feels Obama will hand over the U.S.'s sovereignty to the United Nations. Head says he will assemble an army to blockade Obama from entering his county and "we" will "get rid of the guy" via civil war.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/texas-judge-warns-possib...

Question: If the judge is right and America will have a civil war if Obama gets re-elected and "hands over sovereignty of the U.S. to the U.N.," what effect would that have on our home remodelling? Would all commerce come to a screeching halt? Would Lowe's & Menards become military forts? Would Google Earth provide reconnaissance for the military? I doubt the internet would be working, let alone WalMart and Ace Hardware.

Paul T.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 66
Question: If the judge is right and America will have a civil war if Obama gets re-elected and "hands over sovereignty of the U.S. to the U.N.," what effect would that have on our home remodelling?

Yeah, because "what will happen to home remodeling" really is the central burning question to ask with regard to civil war.

IP,
thinking it's really not necessary to clutter this board with every single idiocy one finds on the internet
No. of Recommendations: 2
I thought about FA'ing the OP just on the principle of "There's OT, and then there's so far out in right field that you've left the Iowa corn behind and you're well into Canadian wheat territory."

But then I decided that rec'ing the reply (and looking up the ballpark on Google maps to see whether Canada was in left or right field) was more fun :)
No. of Recommendations: 1
Question: If the judge is right and America will have a civil war if Obama gets re-elected and "hands over sovereignty of the U.S. to the U.N.," what effect would that have on our home remodelling? Would all commerce come to a screeching halt? Would Lowe's & Menards become military forts? Would Google Earth provide reconnaissance for the military? I doubt the internet would be working, let alone WalMart and Ace Hardware.

Paul T.
================================================

On the other side with budget cuts would we have safety standards to prevent people from having to live in unsafe homes?

Would we have a health department?

Immunizations for things like whooping cough?

Child protective services to help insure that children are not abused?

Section 8 housing to help poor people afford a place to live?

Would there even be anyone to call or write to for condemning a building?

I'm more concerned about cutting necessary government services, there are things the government can do that private citizens can not.

Jean
I believe someone's tin foil hat may be in need of some improvements.
No. of Recommendations: 22
I don't think there would be a civil war. If Texas wants to secede from the union, I think there's plenty in the US who are ready to let them go.
No. of Recommendations: 4
I think the inevitable Zombie Apocalypse is more pertinent to home remodelling.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Good god. What a lot of hysterical nonsense.

I work in construction. My industry is way better now than ever, and I expect next year to be busy as well. All that completely OTT political fear-mongering is insane.

Ignore thread now...
If...America will have a civil war

Try the TEOTWAWKI board (the end of the world as we know it) for discussions of survival in extremis:

http://boards.fool.com/teotwawki-119198.aspx?mid=30212848
No. of Recommendations: 5
Some things are like the sun rising.

If this board appears on 'best of' someone is telling a certain person that he is wrong.
thinking it's really not necessary to clutter this board with every single idiocy one finds on the internet

Well, ok, if that's how you really feel and so does everyone else, then I apologize for the post.

I will say though that I'm not sure where you are coming from with the posting "every single idiocy" found on the internet. I'm not aware of that happening.

People no-likey the post, I apologize. But no need for anyone to get mean hearted about it (not saying you did IP, and again I actually agree with your sentiment).

Paul T.
What a lot of hysterical nonsense.

Too bad she's put this on "ignore thread"; I'm left wondering if by "hysterical" she meant "amusing" or "cra-cra-crazy".
Too bad she's put this on "ignore thread"; I'm left wondering if by "hysterical" she meant "amusing" or "cra-cra-crazy".

Good point. Us Americans have a way of re-using words to mean a bunch of things. Hysterical, like clown funny? Or hysterical, like uncontrollable panic? Or hysterical like cra-cra-crazy!

She's a big girl so I'm guessing she'll be just fine. She isn't real acknowledging of conciliatory gestures either offered or reciprocated, but she's her own kinda woman and that makes her an interesting person who has a lot to offer the boards. Such, my apology to her and the others.

Paul T.
If this board appears on 'best of' someone is telling a certain person that he is wrong.

Hey Dean,

It's more like if he stayed on topic (carpentry is his chosen field), posted helpful insights and tips, maybe sometimes post some pics of his workmanship, he wouldn't need to toot his own horn - Others would do that for him, and he'd make a lot more friends, his posts would receive a lot more recs, and he would gain a lot more respect, and self-esteem.

Every time I read one of his posts that does that (and doesn't also throw a jab at someone), I recommend it.

But, ya buy him books, and he doesn't open the cover, what ya gonna do?

Bob
Are you kidding me, this is a new low and convinces me that this person needs serious help if he even believes a modicom of this fabrication.
Are you kidding me, this is a new low and convinces me that this person needs serious help if he even believes a modicom of this fabrication

What fabrication would that be? This was an actual news story reporting the facts on television, then linked here.

Paul T.
I don't think there would be a civil war. If Texas wants to secede from the union, I think there's plenty in the US who are ready to let them go.

It wouldn't be the first time Texas has seceded. I visited the San Jacinto Monument when I was in Houston. The presentation basically made me think that Texas has always been at war. When it wasn't, it joined up with whatever war was happening at the time.

AC * Charlton Heston was the narrator of that presentation - go figure*
<actual news story >

Right, reporting about some wacho county judge who is also in need of some serious help!
I think the inevitable Zombie Apocalypse is more pertinent to home remodelling.

Any tips on zombie-proofing a house? Axe-u-lee, I’m not too worried bout them zombies, me. Down here in S.E. Loosiana, day comes out every election day to vote, them.
;-)

C.J.V. - and day votes mostly Democratic, yes
Right, reporting about some wacho county judge who is also in need of some serious help!

I reply to one of your posts, what, about once a year if that? One would think you might use the opportunity to actually use rationalization and convincing judgement. How many times have you called me a liar and defamated my character on here using falsehoods? Hundreds if not thousands.

Don't you know that's illegal? Then once a year I say "excuse me? What did you call me?" and all the people come out of the woodwork to tell me how uncivil I am for saying @RET when I have a mouthful?

Look, I'm not out to get you. I mean, if I thought you were affecting my actual reputation via stalking and via lies, you would have charges pressed against you. Your post in this one thread alone, is making false statements to try to malign me, which in itself is illegal. You don't care? probably not. I'm just trying to help you out a bit here.

Why not start with things that you think you know I've written as falsehoods. I mean just turning on an insult switch with broken record accusations.... it doesn't work my man.

But keep up with calling me a liar and and making stuff up to try to hurt me... is it really worth it to you? That's illegal stuff that exposes you to risk with the law.

Now, I'm actually a decent guy with a lot of patience. Honestly, you and some others have taken advantage of that. I just ask you nicely to please stop trying to see how far you can press my patience. Why not start by turning over a new leaf, you AND I? You know. drink something, make a toast, I'll keep being the idiot that I am but will try to listen to your suggestions for improvement. What do you think?

Paul T.
Called you a liar - when?

Defamed you - When

Freedom of speech is illegal???

What stalking?

What false statements?

Making up what stuff?
No. of Recommendations: 6
I've told more than one Texan who talked secession "don't let the door hit you in the backside on the way out"

As far as that goes, if the entire confederacy wanted to leave today, I'd be in favor of letting them.

I might miss Virginia.
I might miss Virginia.

Not if the Commonwealth of Northern Virgina seceded from Virginia.

AC *grin*
I see grouse1000 has answered your ridiculous post and that is not a lie or defamitory. A lawyer you are NOT!
I see grouse1000 has answered your ridiculous post

Why does grouse answer oaklawn's who answers Noidatall's, who answers areumad's replies as though you are all one and the same? Same abbreviations, same name calling, same opinions & same cutdows. All of which make the same conclusions on everything. Just seems fishy, that's all.

Ok, back to our regularly scheduled program in which I stop answering the lot of you.

Paul T.
Why does grouse answer oaklawn's who answers Noidatall's, who answers areumad's replies as though you are all one and the same?

I've known grouse100 and NoIDatall for a number of years. They are definitely different people. As for the other two, I don't know much about them outside the few posts they make here.
I've known grouse100 and NoIDatall for a number of years. They are definitely different people

Thank you PSU. I gotta trust what you are saying.

Paul T.
Civil war = lots of people building bomb shelters and bunkers.

Someone needs to sell those people canned food and cinder blocks and ammo. Even during a civil war some people make lots of money.
Guess they all are circling in black helios - gee the world is after you!
No. of Recommendations: 8
I've known grouse100 and NoIDatall for a number of years. They are definitely different people.

Yep, Mike lives in South Carolina, unless he's moved. I live in Belleville, Illinois.

Mike is very accomplished at networks and software. I've worked in the Insurance racket, since I was 10 - I started out addressing envelopes and doing file work for my Mom and Dad. I left a job opportunity as an auditor for Price Waterhouse, to operate my own insurance agency when I was 21 - been stuck in that endeavor ever since. I enjoy some of it. I am, reasonably, accomplished at most of the field. IIRC, Mike cut his teeth as an IT Systems Controller responsible for around a 100 workstation network. I met Mike, Bill Ford, Tuni, jiml8 and PL on TMF's computer board in the mid 90s - I liked messing around with computer hardware (built computers from scratch for myself, my agency, the agency where I now work and for some other people), and contributed some to the board. After a few posts to the board, they took me off line in a joint session - They were really great!! I really enjoyed it!!... I think Tuni was maybe pretty instrumental in that - I love her, as a very close friend... She's really great!!

I haven't attacked you, Paul. I think Mike has lightened up a lot, too. I recommended several of your recent posts, as they were informative, helpful and positive - Keep your focus in that perspective, and I don't think that you will regret doing so... I will help, if you do, to the extent that your posts warrant it.

Quite frankly, you are your own worst enemy, Paul. You can change that, but it is, significantly, up to you to do so.

Respectfully,
Bob
I met Mike, Bill Ford, Tuni, jiml8 and PL on TMF's computer board in the mid 90s

I left out emtwo and Robaer - My, very, bad!!
Quite frankly, you are your own worst enemy, Paul

A judge predicts civil war so Paul T. must need a tinfoil hat?

Your posse's MO is quite misinformed.

You and about 5 others share the concept that whatever you write is attributable to me. It's kind of like how child abusers and spousal abusers operate.... "you are bringing this on yourself."

Paul T.
You and about 5 others share the concept that whatever you write is attributable to me...

I think the count is up to around 62, at present.
A judge predicts civil war so Paul T. must need a tinfoil hat?
No - some idiot in Texas makes a stupid statement about "civil war".
And you seem to think it's plausible enough to be worth discussing and make a post out of it. It is entirely YOUR words that were:
Would Lowe's & Menards become military forts? Would Google Earth provide reconnaissance for the military? I doubt the internet would be working, let alone WalMart and Ace Hardware.

I think it's obvious how someone could think you've got your tinfoil hat on a bit too tight from saying something like that.

Please go back to talking about sheet goods or other carpentry topics - something where you really do appear to be an expert and have useful knowledge to share.
Paul,

Don't your local building codes require a TARDIS for such events?

Trying to be helpful,

BG
BG we all know that you cannot bring the past to the present if the secret (building) codes remain like lot rot. Gunny sack wall stuffers may work but will just make me sneeze in the future.

Paul T.
I'm a woodsman If I wanted to I could build you a house with a hand axe, and some sharpening tools. I bring this up only as a reflection on what can be done.

Whether it's jelousy, or rivalry, or pseudo proofs that puts folks in a position to frantically link outside their aeras of expertise, I can't figure that one out. I won't waste too much of my time, qualifying myself merely for some yahoo to come along and out-qaualify me because they found an e-pinions article.

So please think about it for a seconde.... it's a rafter, not much to it. Rafters are designed to merely hold about 40 pounds per square foot/snow load. Now think some more.... master carpenter. Does it sound like that much of a challenge? No, not really.

Here's a few samples of actual changes:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0PDoX8bjTlQ...

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0PDoX9ujTlQ...

Paul T.
I'm a woodsman If I wanted to I could build you a house with a hand axe, and some sharpening tools. I bring this up only as a reflection on what can be done.

Whether it's jelousy, or rivalry, or pseudo proofs that puts folks in a position to frantically link outside their aeras of expertise, I can't figure that one out. I won't waste too much of my time, qualifying myself merely for some yahoo to come along and out-qaualify me because they found an e-pinions article.

So please think about it for a seconde.... it's a rafter, not much to it. Rafters are designed to merely hold about 40 pounds per square foot/snow load. Now think some more.... master carpenter. Does it sound like that much of a challenge? No, not really.

Here's a few samples of actual changes:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0PDoX8bjTlQ......

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0PDoX9ujTlQ......

Paul T.

Good points, if you move to an island where you are the only inhabitant.
link outside their aeras of expertise, I can't figure that one out.

Your spelling and grammar need some work, as does your board etiquette, but you are improving. I would be remiss not to note that.

Humbly,

NoIDatAll
Nope its up to 199

http://boards.fool.com/incredible-behaviour-26538006.aspx

"Tpault..you are incredibly unpopular..disliked..loathed in fact by many here. You appear to want to goad people into a reaction. You relish an arguement..you start it, then try to(on another lengthy and pointless post) apologise(without any real conviction I might add) only to commence another prolonged discussion on a separate topic, which in your case, usually belongs elswewhere."
OTOH, 2081 people have rec'd his posts, he has 104 "followers" and his rec to post ratio is > than 1:1 - That warrants some merit.

Bob
OTOH, 2081 people have rec'd his posts, he has 104 "followers" and his rec to post ratio is > than 1:1 - That warrants some merit.

Bob

Apparently, he is capable of thinking and expressing his thoughts coherently w/o degrading someone, once in while. ~ ~
Your spelling and grammar need some work, as does your board etiquette, but you are improving

I believe it is a breach in ettiquette to point out mistakes.

Paul T.
I believe it is a breach in ettiquette to point out mistakes.

Hopefully so, 'cause I sure make a bunch!!

BTW, you misspelled etiquette. <BG>
only to commence another prolonged discussion on a separate topic, which in your case, usually belongs elswewhere

Ok Mr. Purist, here's one for you then. Why do you keep posting the same off topic post from another discussion board here?

Paul T
BTW, you misspelled etiquette. <BG>

Bob, if you are trying to channel Kahuna, you need to put <sic> after the misspelled word you quote.

IP
Whose posts would be hard to read if it were not for the lovely red squiggly line that tells me when I've misspelled something!
Bob, if you are trying to channel Kahuna, you need to put <sic> after the misspelled word you quote.

In the words of my daughter when she was 4 years old, "Kiss me honey, nothin' makes me sick!"
In the words of my daughter when she was 4 years old, "Kiss me honey, nothin' makes me sick!"

You say that light heartedly, so I hope she's healthy.

Paul T.
Thanks, Paul!

Bob