Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Between all of the Star Wars excitement, did anyone notice this announcement earlier this week:

"Hasbro Interactive and FIRAXIS Games Announce Partnership to Create `Sid Meier's Civilization III' CD-ROM Game; Original Civilization Team is Reunited to Develop New Strategy Game"

I think thi is a pretty exciting development. Civilization is one of the top computer games of all time. I'm also encouraged that Hasbro is branching out into new computer game territory.

Print the post Back To Top
When and where did you see this? If this happens it would be a major feather in Hasbro's cap. Sid is one of the greatest game designers ever and if Hasbro were to release a "true" sequel to Civ2 it could make a major impact for Hasbro.

Mike
>> When and where did you see this? If this happens it would be a major feather in Hasbro's cap. Sid is one of the greatest game designers ever and if Hasbro were to release a "true" sequel to Civ2 it could make a major impact for Hasbro. <<

Mike:

It was posted on both the Hasbro and Firaxis web sites earlier this week. Check the "Press Releases" section on either site for more info.

I'm disapointed by the recent retreat on HAS stock (I managed to by in near the peak! :) but the more I learn and see about HAS, the more I think I made the right decision to get in. Civ3 will be a great addition to the HAS family. If HAS does things right, and builds upon this base with other strategic software licensing deals and acquisitions (like Microprose) I think they could be a challenger to EA.
I commiserate with you because I bought in at 36.

I am looking at it now as a long termer although thats not why I bought it.

Will we see 36 this century?

I can't say I've had a loss yet (38 pre-split), but this downward trend is troubling. I've seen the movie (quite good despite the critics). I sat next to a 6 yr old kid with a handful of new SW toys. He was thoroughly engrossed. As an investor, that looks like a good indicator for sales for HAS, but things still drop on the market. Maybe an effort to drive it down to get in cheap before the big news (sales numbers, earnings) hits? Response to critic dislike of movie? Fear of financial hit of the Lucas license agreement? I can't see any real reason to drive it down. Maybe it just the old saying "no news is bad news."

And if Sid Meier makes a Civ3 they should warn the Federal Drug Administration. The original Civilization was most addictive thing I've ever seen. It should have been on the list of Controlled Substances.

Hopefully we can see an upturn shortly and ease us long-term HAS holders.
I can't say I've had a loss yet (38 pre-split), but this downward trend is troubling.

I have to agree, and it's even more troubling for me as this is my first investment and I got in very high (32 post split). I wish I understood why it's going down, as all the news I've heard seems to point towards HAS doing very well in the future. Although I wasn't that impressed with the movie, kids apparently are, and some of the software deals HAS has been announcing are huge. MechWarrior 2 was one of the biggest games ever, right along with Civilization, and here HAS is creating the sequels for them. That along with the SW deal and you'd expect the price to go up instead of down.

A confused newbie..

-Nic
I think a lot of people were disapointed by early critical review of Star Wars: Episode I... As if that will have an impact on whether kids will buy the toys or not.

The key is that HAS is a company with its act together with big plans over the next few years.

here is I posted on another board Yesterday;

Toy Store visit
After just returning from the Toy Store (which is sold out of Pokemon Toys by the way), the kids there(including my 7 & 9 year olds) were all over the Star Wars toys, many parents were buying. I asked several of the parents if their kids liked the movie and not one of them has seen it yet. Flop or no flop (which it will not be), I think the toys will do well. Some parents were buying to put the toys away for X-mas just in case everything sells out.

Scott