Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Recently I have been contemplating adding what I preceive as a closed ended or open ended fund but need more information on what this actually means. The company or share symbol in question is Morgan Stanley High Yield Fund. It trades on the NYSE as YLD.

Question 1: If bought what am I actually getting? There seems to be very limited information on this symbol other than what impresses me most, the dividend yield of roughly 18%. Am i right in what I'm seeing when I pull the information or is there something I'm missing? I can't even seem to get a straight understanding on whether this is truly a closed ended or open ended fund.

Question 2: What is the difference between the closed ended and open ended funds? From what I could tell closed ended funds usually sell at a discounted rate. In some ways this seems bad because the fund may get sold later on at a less than market value if what I read is correct.

Question 4: Given that I am invested heavily in technology (60%), standard core NYSE dividend companies (15%), five drips (15%), and two biotechs (10%), can these high yield dividend funds be a benefit? I would consider purchasing it in a Roth account if done therefore letting the dividend either grow for other purchases or to reinvest back in the original company. Currently both my wife's Roth and mine are 100% technology. All core NYSE stocks that pay dividends and the Drips are considered cash holdings given the slower growth.

Question 5: Where can I go to learn more about these types of funds?

Question 6: One article I read seem to vaguely describe that fund managers are moving closed end funds to open end funds. Is this the correct assumption?

Question 7: Given that these particular funds either trade on the NYSE or AMEX that I've seen, they are not actual mutual funds that I can tell. However given that they are funds, do they impose fees like traditional mutual funds? If so, how are they paid, or when?

Thanks in advance for the answers to these questions.

fool on,

Brian
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.