Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
CMFCochrane,

You wrote, Keep monitoring your accounts religiously and immediately report suspicious activity. That is the single most important thing a person can do to protect themselves from permanent monetary loss after an account of theirs has been compromised.

That.

For credit cards, fraud is largely just an inconvenience. Especially these days. I see all of the transaction activity on my accounts shortly after the authorizations go through. Worse case, it's a day or two later - well within the Fair Credit Billing Act requirement to avoid liability.

I have had my cards compromised on several occasions over the decades. I've never had any real difficulty getting the charges removed and the card replaced. It seems to me that for credit cards, fraud is primarily a concern for the issuer and the merchant. That's the reason laws like the FCBA were enacted in the '70s - to encourage credit card use and to standardize consumer protections.

Debit cards and business charge accounts are a different matter. They can be much more inconvenient and you even risk loosing assets when fraud strikes. But that's why I don't use them.

So credit card fraud is primarily an issue for merchants and issuers. If they don't work together to solve this problem, should I care?

Now if you were talking about identity theft ... that's a serious problem that impacts consumers and still needs a better solution.

As for gas stations, I'll still just swipe my card, pump my gas and move on. If my card was skimmed, I'll likely never know it. But I'm not going to worry about it either...

- Joel
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.