Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
CNC: The one we plan on using is a bit over $5200 a month for a 2 BR apartment. Includes room (with weekly cleaning) and board, local transportation, and the like

Vermonter: Apparently, you can afford that monthly cost, so I'll let that go, even though we'd go broke in that situation.

Well, it does include three restaurant quality meals a day, weekly house cleaning, etc. Expensive? Yes. But we worked hard and saved our money. We can afford it. And we don't plan on endowing a university in any case.

People we know who live in a retirement home seem more than satisfied with their choice. These are not the cheap apartments I remember from my youth. (There was a neighbor with a barking dog. The landlord refused to do anything about it.)

We currently live in the largest two-bedroom house I have ever seen. the main floor has four rooms, but they are huge rooms. Then there is the guest cottage in back and a MIL apartment in the basement. Large enough garden to keep an old fart such as myself entertained. (Two large orange trees give me fresh juice every day of the year. First strawberries of the year are coming soon!) In short, the house is far too large for us and our two cats.

Our combined SS almost covers the monthly cost of the OFH, no?

CNC
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.