Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
'Bradshaw said it wasn't that simple, that he tried to keep an open mind while interviewing Chaney acolytes Dan Leibovitz, Dean Demopoulos and Rick Brunson, among others. He reached out to everyone from Dick Vitale to Mike Krzyzewski to Billy Cunningham to Sonny Hill.
"I wouldn't call and ask what someone thought of a particular candidate," Bradshaw said. "I would call and ask about our search, and when the conversation turned to the candidates, the same thing happened. When I got to Fran Dunphy's name, whether I mentioned it first or fifth or seventh, the conversation stopped."

The basketball lifer on the other end would ask: "Can you get Fran Dunphy? If you can get Fran Dunphy, then go get him. If you can't, call back and we'll talk some more."

Krzyzewski went the extra step. According to Bradshaw, the Duke coach put it simply:

"If Dunphy comes to Temple, he'll win a national championship there."'

www.philly.com
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
The basketball lifer on the other end would ask: "Can you get Fran Dunphy? If you can get Fran Dunphy, then go get him. If you can't, call back and we'll talk some more."
Krzyzewski went the extra step. According to Bradshaw, the Duke coach put it simply:
"If Dunphy comes to Temple, he'll win a national championship there."'

I didn't know much about Dunphy before, didn't know he was so respected.

Tell me, how is he going to do recruiting? I mean, I know he had to "recruit" at Penn: but that's a different kind of job than recruiting with scholarships, against other schools who are giving scholarships. I have an idea that the competition for players is cleaner in the Ivies.
(maybe that's naive)

Hmm, I guess we already have an answer about his appetite for that challenge, since he elected to take the job.
No. of Recommendations: 0