Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
(Please point me to a more appropriate board for this question, if there is one.)

I am 59, my wife is 58. I have always been on her health insurance coverage.
In 2003 my wife was diagnosed with cancer, and she lived a fairly normal life until 2014. In late 2014 my wife was no longer able to work. Her employer had a program whereby she (and I) could stay on their health insurance program until the age of 65. We like the program and so we chose to do so. At the same time, she started receiving disability pay, through MetLife via her employer, and social security disability. IAW Medicare regulations, she became eligible for Medicare two years later, in late 2016. At around the same time, her company was bought out, and we were notified that the program to stay on their health insurance was being terminated, and on 1/1/2017 we could go on to COBRA. COBRA lasts 18 months, except that if you are disabled at the starting date, which my wife was, you can stay on COBRA for 29 months.

We chose to stay on COBRA, and to accept ONLY Medicare Part A (which is required, by law.) This is unusual - I believe most employers would REQUIRE you to accept Medicare Part B, so as to make Medicare the primary payer, thereby greatly reducing their costs. But this was not the case with our company. So on 1/1/2017 we began the 29-month COBRA period. Doing the math, you can see that COBRA will end for us on 5/31/2019. The company was kind enough to extend one more month, so that COBRA will end on 6/30/2019. My wife will sign up for full Medicare (Parts A, B, D, and/or Medicare Advantage) during the General Enrollment Period January - March 2019, and her Medicare coverage will begin on 7/1/2019, which is fine (I know that we will pay the penalty for delaying the start of coverage, because COBRA does not count as insurance from *active* employment.)

My question is about ME!

I had assumed that in early 2019 I would sign up for Obamacare, since I would be losing my coverage at the end of June. However, I am now concerned that because I was on COBRA, and COBRA is not considered insurance from *active* employment, perhaps I am not eligible for a Special Enrollment Period, and would have to wait until November 2019 to sign up for Obamacare coverage which would begin on 1/1/2020 -- thus leaving me without medical coverage for the last six months of 2019.

Does anyone know if this is the case? And if so, can you point me to documentation on it?

Thanks very much.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.