Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 22
I have followed this Board for a long time, perhaps 20 years or so. In the days of Yoda and Ralph it was a valuable source of information for me. Not so anymore. This is sad but times change.

I do have some words of wisdom for buy and hold REIT investors such as myself who are looking for singles and not home runs and who have an aversion to striking out. Unfortunately I have had my share of strikeouts.

The Cohen and Steers Realty Fund has an excellent track record. It has beaten the Vanguard REIT Index Fund over the past five years. As I age and trust my own judgement less and less I am putting more IRA money into it. However, the large majority of my portfolio is still in individual REITs. Now before I buy an individual REIT I look to see if it is owned by Cohen and Steers, Fidelity or TIAA CREF REIT funds. If none of these funds own a specific REIT I am very loathe to purchase it.

For Cohen and Steers you can see their holdings four times a year. Here is the most recent.
https://assets.cohenandsteers.com/assets/content/uploads/Com...

Note for example that SPG now represents 5.6% of its portfolio. I doubled my holdings in SPG in the year before COVID only to see my holdings lose 70% of my purchase price. SPG has doubled from its low but it is still well below my purchase price. After the fall I have still been slowly adding to my position in SPG. Check it out.

I still follow the REIT chatter here and on Seeking Alpha, but I do not have the hubris to believe that I can do better than the experts at Cohen and Steers, TIAA CREF and Fidelity.

This is all I have to say.

Martin
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.