Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Recently, my husband and I decided to buy some shares (not many) of Coke. We only realized three days later that we bought COKE, the bottling guys, not KO, the actual soda company. What's the dif? And is there still good potential for COKE?

-Wendygal
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Wendygal,

Don't feel like the lone ranger...I'm sure there are lots of us accidental owners of COKE who originally intended to buy KO.

The difference is pretty large. The Coca-Cola Bottling Company is just that; they bottle and distribute the soft drinks manufactured by Coca-Cola (KO). I believe they are the largest soft drink bottler in the US, but they are limited in scope and geographical coverage.

As far as an investment is concerned, I would recommend holding on for a while. Like any long term investment, it takes time...

- ebbert
Hi guys you are right. There are many different bottlers of Coca-Cola. (COKE) is the second largest bottler of Coca-Cola products in the US. The first is Coca-Cola Enterprises or (CCE) and hen of course the Coca-Cola Comapny (KO).
The parent company (KO) owns a percentage of each of its bottlers so any investment in an (COKE) or (CCE) is a pretty safe investment.
(COKE) is primarily based in 12 Southern States nd anyone who has ever lived in the south knows that Coca-Cola is and will always be big in the south.
CCE is the largest in the US and has holdings all over the world, (you may recall the Beligan scare last summer) that was CCE's and hurt their stock....they are trading at around 20 bucks now and I reccomend a buy and hold.
COKE is also recommended as a buy and hold. Quarterly dividens are pretty good and the stock hovers around 50 bucks. All three (KO) (COKE) and (CCE) should go up as the weather turns warmer, summertime is the best time for these stocks, esp in the south!
Boys....here is the deal on COKE, CCE, KO....As you mentioned COKE is #2 to CCE for size...I will also tell you that your COKE shares will turn into CCE shares within the next 3 months if not sooner....Also, in terms of seasonality, I would disagree with my peer...KO's business continues to be fed 80% oversees and only 20% domestic. In terms of COKE and/or CCE, their seasonality is only slightly impacted due to CCE's significant presence in Europe and COKE's already high expectations from May to August...Either way, no one should worry...all three stocks are sisters of one another and will continue to be classic Rule Makers for anyone's portfolio....fool on....
...KO's business continues to be fed 80% oversees and only 20% domestic...

I read in a marketing class recently that there are 354 servings of coca-cola served in the United States per capita per year. With practically everyone in the US drinkng one coca-cola product per day, the overseas market is the only place left for growth! I believe India and China were the main targets...
The current index on Coca-Cola per capitas is more like 281. Additionally, these 'per capita' figures are built around 8 oz servings, not 12 or 20 oz. I would also strongly disagree that there is limited opportunity for growth considering the human body needs 64 ounces of fluid per day to survive and Coca-Cola products make up less than 2 ounces globally and less than 5 domestically....