Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
Bein a letter carrier in Missoula since 1981 Ive experienced a bit of frigid conditions. I believe back in 88 Feb we had -90 w/ winds at 30+ mph. That was a cold day! The supervisors claimed they brought us coffee or chocolate but just another lie by mgt!. The hands sufferred most and I found that the best combo was those rubber laced gloves covered by wool inserts to deliver the mail door to door. I still have a few batterries sitting in ATV's and should seitch them inside as it was -26 in W Jellystone this morn. Any favorites as to bootwear? Fer years I relied on Sorel Caribou model but now believe that LaCrosse has a better product. Underwear is a personal choice but I like the fluff polypro along w/ ski goggles and 2 coverings of headgear.

Any successful elk hunters out there? I got into a herd of 20+ on the last day in the Rye creek region of the Bitterroot but it was too foggy to get a legal(brow tined bull) shot. Did score a 5x5 whitetail above my orchard in Darby on Halloween--- Pretty gamey but sausage cures a lotta taste. Polish dogs and loin steaks!
I had one buddy get a 6pt bull on open day outta Ennis and later bagged a Mtn goat in that range later in the season. Pretty good huntin. The Bitterroot was sparse.
Lost a buncha dough in Enron but only put in 2 grand in 93-94 that hiked itself to 50+ last summer. easy come & go I think the basics are still there even tho they burnt the books. Anotherreason to diversify yer portfolio

Harry Richards
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Harry, great to hear about hunting. I haven't been in years, but I sorely miss the taste of venison. My brother-in-law got an elk tag for the Belt Mountains (bit out of your way - Central Montana), in the same area where he got a tag three years ago, which I've heard is nearly impossible to do. Three years ago, he bagged a great 6-point.
No. of Recommendations: 0
I finally drew a sweet late season cow elk tag for Gardiner in February. I'm totally looking forward to it and I've got 4 buddies lines up to help drag the critter out. It should be tons of fun!