No. of Recommendations: 0
Has anyone ever bought a COLE directory? I see it's on CD. Does that mean I can compile mailing lists easily from it, sorted by ZIP codes?

Thanks,
PrrpleGrrl
Print the post Back To Top
Has anyone ever bought a COLE directory? I see it's on CD. Does that mean I can compile mailing lists easily from it, sorted by ZIP codes?

I'm not familiar with COLE, but as a rule of thumb, I don't think it's a good idea to pay very much for lists on a CD.

According to which report you read, up 50% of business addresses change each year due to closures, moves, etc and almost as many residential addresses change. As soon as the CD is published, it's already out of date, and every minute that passes between the time it is published and it arrives at your door it becomes even more out of date.

Then, between the time you receive it, prepare a mailing, and get the items in the mail, it's further out of date.

If you're going to purchase mailing lists, get them hot and now. Try www.zapdata.com or www.infousa.com . Infousa.com is probably the leader in this field.

ShelbyBoy
Thanks! I hadn't considered out-of-dateness.

For everyone's information, I called up Experian, who publish the COLE directories. They said it's not meant for creating mailing lists from, and, while you can export to Excel or Word, you can only export 75 names at a time. They have another product called MarketShare for businesses who want to create mailing lists. Of course, it's twice the price.

PrrpleGrrl