Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
Powell had donated to McCain in the early days of his candidacy but pivoted his support in 2008 to Obama....

"I'm also troubled by — not what Sen. McCain says — but what members of the party say, and it is permitted to be said. Such things as, 'Well, you know that Mr. Obama is a Muslim,' " Powell said on NBC's Meet the Press in 2008.

"Well, the correct answer is, he is not a Muslim; he's a Christian. He's always been a Christian. But the really right answer is, 'What if he is?' Is there something wrong with being a Muslim in this country? The answer's no, that's not America. Is there something wrong with some 7-year-old Muslim American kid believing that he or she could be president?"

Powell would go on to advise Obama on issues regarding the United States' presence in Afghanistan and endorse Obama again in 2012 for a second term.

In later years, Powell continued to try to right the ship of the Republican Party, which he viewed as having veered dangerously far right.

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/19/1047127311/colin-powell-barac...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I wonder what Democrats were saying that made Powell not become a Democrat in the first place, but rather, a Republican.
No. of Recommendations: 0
All well an good, but he should have known better and not let himself be used and abused by Bush/Cheney and the warmongers.

Ken
No. of Recommendations: 4
Even I a (Bernie/AOC) Progressive liked Colin Powell and thought he was a great man and a true patriot.

He reminds me of principled Republicans like my father in law who left the Trump dominated Republican Party post January 6th.