Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
Collecting coins is like collecting stamps, steam engines or diamonds. They are expensive to buy as the good ones sell at a premium. When it comes time to sell them in times of dire need, you find that they are only worth the metal (or paper or whatever) they are made out of.

Hobbies are worthy ways to spend entertainment time, but they are rarely good investments - and not a substitute for "gold" as a survival tool

My goal was not to suggest that collectible silver serves the same purpose as junk silver. It doesn’t. As you pointed out, collectible silver is a hobby (or a business).

Now I know something about coins and stamps within the limited field I collect (pre-1900 for US coins and US Airmail for stamps). I freely admit I know nothing about steam engines or diamonds except that my wife wouldn’t be nearly as happy with a steam engine as she appears to be with diamonds.

Anyone who purchases collectibles for investment purposes is fighting an uphill battle unless you purchase the great rarities. I don’t. But some collectibles are losers and others have a better chance to hold their value or maybe even better. Part of collecting is educating yourself.

And I suspect anything you sell under in times of dire need means your not getting top dollar.

Lastly (Thank goodness!), I will probably never sell my collections. I enjoy them too much. However, I’ve left explicit instructions to my sons on how to get top dollars for them, if they chose to sell them as I suspect they will. I’m guessing by then I’ll probably be more worried about avoiding flames than the value of coins and stamps.

AW
Print the post  

Announcements

This is a Politics Free Board
Politically charged posts are not permitted on the Metar Board. If you make a political post, and it is alerted, the post will be removed. Thanks!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.