No. of Recommendations: 0
I didn't want to hijack the earlier thread, so I'm starting one of my own.

How long does a collection take to fall off a report? I have one on my credit report from 3 years ago. It is a disputed bill with AT&T. I never had that phone number (some other area code halfway across the country) and I have asked for proof that I owe the bill, but it keeps getting sold, and I keep getting contacted by a new collection agency every few months, once I ask for proof. I have started ignoring the letters and calls recently.

I am almost at the point where I am considering paying it off (it is about $300) just to get them off my back, but I don't want to damage my credit more than I already have because of this. I might want to move back to California sometime in the next few years, which would make credit necessary so I can buy a house...

orinjade
Print the post Back To Top
7.5 years from last payment.

BUT

Just because it's off the report doesn't mean the collection agents will stop bugging you.

I've had a lot of bad stuff (including several collections) fall off my report in the last year - but collection companies are still calling and writing offering settlements.

Ishtar
A fellow insurance agent in the office where had a problem with AT&T charging her and her husband for a phone they requested cancelled. AT&T refused to remove the charge. I suggested that she file a complaint with the FCC. After she did, AT&T quickly removed the charge, and apologized for their "mistake".
in the office where I work.
No. of Recommendations: 5
How long does a collection take to fall off a report? I have one on my credit report from 3 years ago. It is a disputed bill with AT&T. I never had that phone number (some other area code halfway across the country) and I have asked for proof that I owe the bill, but it keeps getting sold, and I keep getting contacted by a new collection agency every few months, once I ask for proof. I have started ignoring the letters and calls recently.

Collections cannot be reported to your credit report any longer than 7 years + 180 days after the original missed payment. 'Re-aging' of accounts has been outlawed. That doesn't mean that it won't occur, but you have a defense that it's not allowed if they attempt to do so.

That said, collectors can continue to attempt to collect on a debt until it is paid or settled - 10, 20, 30 or more years. They just can't sue you past the statute of limitations date allowed in your state, and they can't report to the credit bureau past the 7 years + 180 day point after the initial missed payment.

I never had that phone number (some other area code halfway across the country) and I have asked for proof that I owe the bill, but it keeps getting sold, and I keep getting contacted by a new collection agency every few months, once I ask for proof.

Continue to ask, in writing, for validation of the debt, requiring information from the original creditor showing that the debt is yours and providing a 30 day time limit for the response, or you will assume that the cannot validate the debt and will drop any collections actions. Keep those letters so you can dispute any new collections accounts that show up on your credit report by showing that you requested validation of the debt, and you got no response within the 30 day time limit.

AJ
No. of Recommendations: 7
orinjade,

You wrote, How long does a collection take to fall off a report? I have one on my credit report from 3 years ago. It is a disputed bill with AT&T. I never had that phone number (some other area code halfway across the country) and I have asked for proof that I owe the bill, but it keeps getting sold, and I keep getting contacted by a new collection agency every few months, once I ask for proof. I have started ignoring the letters and calls recently.

I am almost at the point where I am considering paying it off (it is about $300) just to get them off my back, but I don't want to damage my credit more than I already have because of this. I might want to move back to California sometime in the next few years, which would make credit necessary so I can buy a house...

I don't handle extortion well. I wouldn't pay for something if I didn't think they had a valid case for me owing it. To hell with my credit - that's just extortion.

Something similar happened to a friend. I encouraged him to file a small claims case against the phone company and the collection agency. I forget if they settled or if he won a judgment against them; but it made them go away.

In fact, he had a couple of items like this on his credit report. And he'd worked as a contractor around the same time and his employer (American Airlines) stiffed him. And I think there was some incident with his bank over a debit card as well. He sued them all. I remember hearing him telling me ecstatically not only about winning his cases; but actually getting checks from these companies. These days he takes everything to court when threatened/challenged.

Not just small claims - he lives in a small town north of Dallas with a lot of growth around it. The neighboring towns set up speed traps all the time. About once he a year they ticket him, so he makes them take it to a jury trial and appeals when he loses. He's better off now than he used to be and he tells me doesn't mind the cost - win or lose - as long as he can make sure they spend more fighting him than they can collect.

He seems to know more about the law than I do now. (We're both engineers, not lawyers.) And he does it all pro se. Makes me proud...

- Joel
Thank you all, for the responses.

orinjade