Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Usually I think I have a good grip on these things, but I find myself stumped as to how to manage the upcoming college funds of my twins to be next January.

Here's the deal:

Have UTMA regret with my 3-year old's account. It's growing so well based on some solid mechanical investing (MI), that I fear the day she gets access to a huge portfolio at age 18. (I expect it to be somewhere between $125K and $200K. I plan to instill in her the best of money wisdom that I can, but you know...

So my grandmother expects to gift the same $10,000 to the twins. UTMA saves up to $329/year in federal taxes (0% first $700, 15% next $700, my rate is 31%). I find it somewhat of a disadvantage not being able to use 10-15% margin because margin is not allowed in UTMA/UGMA's.

Alternatives:

Traditional-IRA - NOPE, not even close to qualifying.

Roths - already maxed out and probably won't qualify for them after next year due to income phase outs.

Non-deductible IRA's - Usually this one is ugly, but Roth's are not an option beyond my current retirement planning, so I think this could work. My understanding is that you can still do $2K/year at any income level. Yes, it gets taxed at full ordinary income tax rates, but since I typically do monthly and quarterly rebalancing of the growth/momentum portion of the portfolio (about 2/3rds of total value), this may not be so bad. I read that I can withdraw before 59 1/2 if it is for education or for up to $10,000 (lifetime) for a first time home purchase which can apply to my kids. If they don't go to college/buy a home, it stays tax sheltered in my name. Oh yea, it will be a pain managing multiple accounts since I can't dump all $10K in at once. Also, no margin.

Traditional taxable account in my name: I get control, lose some tax advantages (most notably at age 14 when the kiddie tax no longer applies). I could direct it to first home downpayment help, weddings, yadda yadda. There may be a significant downside in terms of qualifying for financial aid if the rules don't change much 18 years from now. Margin available. Can unify into a single account vs 2 to 4 with other options.

Are my assumptions about the different types of accounts and how they can be used correct?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Buckaroo
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.