Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
As my last kid/adult is finishing up college - 3 more semesters to go a combination of things have created excess funds. Online only due to Covid cost reductions, stock market gains, second kid doing a little less college, I have some excess funds to deal with. So next week before the year ends I'm selling enough stocks to pay for the 3 semesters and a new computer.

In doing some research you can pay for computers since everything is online, it's now a required device along with headset, video etc. So for the Holidays he got a nice new computer as his 9 year old one is still running but a little on the slow side :) Building your own computer with great parts and little upgrade along they way has kept it going and going.

Now what to do with the rest of the education funds. I can leave it sit and grow, perhaps I'll take some online courses or another close family member could benefit. Later on at some point sell and cash it out taking the 10% penalty and then paying income taxes. Maybe a grand kid will pop up later in life but the funds have to be transferred to that child before my kids turn 30. I don't see that happening but you never know.

I did not think about excess, perhaps a few dollars but not a decent excess to deal with. It's actually wonderful problem, I mean ugh challenge to deal with. I'm wondering if anyone else has dealt with this and what they did?
Print the post Back To Top
You need to be more specific - 529, Coverdell or something else ?
Coverdell account.