No. of Recommendations: 0
Print the post Back To Top
Thanksgiving dinner must be fun at their house...
No. of Recommendations: 51
From just the headline I'd agree, but reading the story kinda puts me on her side. Apparently the judge too.

He agreed to pay for it and didn't. Obviously she (or mom) knew enough not to take dear old dad at his word & got it in writing prior to her starting.

I could see if she simply went to school, racked up a large loan debt, and then after the fact expected dad to just pay it all off, then yes I'd be inclined to go the spoiled brat route too. But if he made the commitment all she's really doing is forcing him to meet it.

We can't even get $250/mo child support on time or 50% of routine medical expenses ($20 here & there) paid with court directives to do so. Some dads simply choose not to meet their obligations - this one just happened to get taken to task for it.
No. of Recommendations: 1
What a snot nosed little brat.

Like daughter, like father?

He didn't claim that he couldn't pay his legal obligation. The divorce agreement changed the situation to a legal obligation. Overall, it looks like he is punishing his daughter for the divorce and just changed his mind.
No. of Recommendations: 31
Um, I think this shows that it wasn't just a whim.

When Howard and Deborah Soderberg divorced in 2004, Howard—a property developer—agreed to pay for the education of their three children.

Apparently Dana foresaw that his word wouldn't be enough. In 2005, she convinced her father to sign a written contract that would require him to pay for her college tuition until she turned 25, as well as cover related expenses such as textbooks and car insurance. For her part, she agreed to apply for student loans that her father would cover if she received them.

1. It's in the divorce agreement.

2. He willingly signed other documentation saying he'd pay.

How does that make the child a spoiled brat?

And this:

Berman pointed out that Dana was forced to drop some courses due to the continued tardiness of her father's tuition payments.

It sounds as though she knew that he wouldn't honor his agreements all along (otherwise, why have him sign the second agreement?)

No, I don't think this shows the student is a spoiled brat at all.

If he couldn't pay or wasn't willing to, then he shouldn't have signed off on the divorce agreement or the separate agreement with his child.

No, a parent does not have to pay a child's way through college. But if one agrees to do so, with documentation, one should honor his agreement.

Ishtar
Good for the daughter. Obviously her father is not a "man of his word" after all he entered into a legally binding agreement, and defaulted.

"But judge, I didn't understand what a variable home loan was, someone should have explained it to me and protected me from myself." Please have the government step in and make it all better...

Oh yea...

Nevermind.
No. of Recommendations: 3
No. She didn't sue him out of the blue or from a displaced sense of entitlement. They had a written contract. He refused to honor it. Now maybe he shouldn't have decided to make that contract, but he did. Therefore he needs to follow through.

Sorry, but that's the way it is. You don't get to slide on contracts just because someone is family.
Too bad these folks don't THINK before reproducing. Anyone else think this was a "she's pregnant so we'll get married" scene?

joycets
No. of Recommendations: 8
I commend this woman for standing up for her rights. She had a legally binding contract directly between her and this man (he lost his right to be called a father when he became a deadbeat). The man wasn't illiterate - he knew he was signing a legally binding agreement. He did not make claims that she breached the contract first when he stopped paying, only when she took him to court.

Fuskie
Who didn't see anything in the article that suggested that the woman had any obligations to attempt to secure student loans as a condition of his covering her education costs, so the argument that she didn't try hard enough to secure such loans would be laughable if he wasn't such a poor excuse for a man...
No. of Recommendations: 4
<<As an art major-turned-teacher facing a grim economy >>

I would have liked to see more detail about how this young lady is managing her post graduation life. Sounds like it sucks.

Suing her father sounds like her biggest source of income.

Seattle Pioneer
No. of Recommendations: 2
<<As an art major-turned-teacher facing a grim economy >>

I would have liked to see more detail about how this young lady is managing her post graduation life. Sounds like it sucks.

Suing her father sounds like her biggest source of income.

I disagree. She became a teacher, presumably because that is where she could find a job, and she sued her dad because he made a promise to her. While I don't hold with suing family members in general, it is very clear there is more at play in this family dynamic.

Minxie
No. of Recommendations: 8
Having lived through a VERY contentious divorce as a child, I can thoroughly get behind what this girl did.

1) They had a legal decree. The tuition was probably agreed upon in leiu of something else (IE mom gives up her rights to his 401K in trade for tuition, as an example. I know these facts are not available in the story, but I'd be surprised if this wasn't the case.)

2) He obviously was enough of a jerk that the daughter got a SECOND binding document agreeing to this setup.

3) She made choices (what college to attend) based on this premise. It sounds like she was forced to drop classes and rearrange her education based on him arbitrarily not paying/paying late. I don't blame her for being mad.
No. of Recommendations: 5
Too bad these folks don't THINK before reproducing. Anyone else think this was a "she's pregnant so we'll get married" scene?

Ummm, no. Why do you think that this is the case? According to the article the couple had several children and he agreed to pay for the educational expenses of all of them, then tried to back out of the agreement. How does that translate to "she's pregnant so we'll get married?"

LWW
Ummm, no. Why do you think that this is the case? According to the article the couple had several children and he agreed to pay for the educational expenses of all of them, then tried to back out of the agreement. How does that translate to "she's pregnant so we'll get married?"

LWW
----------------
It doesn't. I wasn't remembering the details you did. thank you for enlightening me.
jts
lets hope she doesn't end up on that list of recent grads trying to sue their universities for giving them educations in fields they can't find work in...

t.t
tyrodtaylor: "lets hope she doesn't end up on that list of recent grads trying to sue their universities for giving them educations in fields they can't find work in..."

Can you list any recent examples?

Curiously, JAFO
Warning: make sure to take your blood pressure medication before reading

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-beat/College-Grad-Cant-...

t.t
>> Warning: make sure to take your blood pressure medication before reading <<

From the article:

She went to college to boost her chances of finding a great job once she got out of school, but now that that hasn't happened, Trina Thompson wants her money back.

Thompson, a graduate of Monroe College, is suing her school for the $70,000 she spent on tuition because she hasn't found solid employment since receiving her bachelor's degree in April, according to a published report.

The business-oriented school in the Bronx didn't do enough to help her find a job, Thompson alleges, so she wants a refund. The college says it does plenty for grads.

---

This was inevitable given the growing emphasis on college as nothing more than a place to jump through 4+ years of hoops so you can get a good job.

Not getting a job makes the college education worthless. Nice commentary on our values.

the second one is not a girl trying to sue her school, but another example of blinding following the path of "college education = money and a job". Seems more and more kids and their families these days don't stop to ask some important questions before going to school:

1. What do I want to do with my life?
2. Can this education help me do that?
3. Can I pay for the education myself or do I need loans?
4. Will there be a job market for me out of school?
5. Will landing a job in that market provide me enough $$$ to repay my debts?

Seems some high school grads these days (with a push from their parents) only address #1 and forget the rest.

t.t
the second one is not a girl trying to sue her school, but another example of blinding following the path of "college education = money and a job".

Yes, there's a whole thread about this particular debtor from about a month ago here: http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=28549749&sort=who...

AJ
tyrodtaylor: "and another...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/29/your-money/student-loans/2...... "

The URL above does not seem to mention or reference any suit against teh University. Is it really another example, per your original post?

"lets hope she doesn't end up on that list of recent grads trying to sue their universities for giving them educations in fields they can't find work in..."

Regards, JAFO
JAFO, read my last post that starts with:

the second one is not a girl trying to sue her school, but...
tyrodtaylor: "JAFO, read my last post that starts with:

the second one is not a girl trying to sue her school, but... "

I posted after reading the post about her and before moving on in the thread; sorry about that.

Regards, JAFO
No. of Recommendations: 6
I have to disagree, based on the article. The father had signed a contract stating he'd pay for tuition, then wanted to back out. He paid tuition late, forcing her to drop some classes. I think the dad is irresponsible and I commend the girl for getting him to follow through on their agreement.

I am biased by the amount of time I spent in college trying to get my dad to pay my tuition on time, and the number of times *I* had to drop classes because he'd just forgotten to pay my tuition. I was lucky and was able to add my classes back, most of the time, but was it fun? Oh, heck no. Was it fun being on a first-name basis with everyone in the registrar's office because of my dad's inability to remember what month it was? Um, no.

So, yeah, I'm a biased individual, but this person sounds pretty far from a snot-nosed brat to me.

--Booa
It's Booa catch-up day!

*smooches*

Ishtar
I disagree with your assessment, but my opinion is colored by my relationship with my own deadbeat dad.
Three times?
*smooches Ish*

Hee! Glad it amused you!

--Booa (catching up :-))